Commonwealth Shared Scholarships are for candidates from Bangladesh, Cameroon, Eswatini, The Gambia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Samoa, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu and Zambia, for full-time Master’s study on selected courses, jointly supported by UK universities.
These scholarships are offered under six CSC development themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Eligibility for Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK, or remotely if required, by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2021
- By September 2021, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) standard, or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree).
- Not have studied or worked for one (academic) year or more in a high income country
- Be unable to afford to study at a UK university without this scholarship
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
Each scholarship provides:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependents, nor the cost of journeys made before your award is confirmed) – arranged by the university; funded by the CSC;
- Approved tuition fees – funded by the CSC;
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,116 per month, or £1,369 per month for those studying at universities in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2020-2021 levels) – paid and funded by the university;
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable – paid and funded by the university;
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC;
- Study travel grant towards the costs of study-related travel within the UK or overseas – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC;
- Excess baggage allowance, up to an annual approved limit, when returning home – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC;
- Reimbursement of the cost of mandatory tuberculosis (TB) test, where required for a visa application (receipts must be supplied) – claimed from and paid by the university; funded by the CSC;
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £478 per month for the first child, and £118 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK (rates quoted at 2020-2021 levels).
How to apply for Commonwealth Scholarship
You can apply for more than one taught Master’s course and/or to more than one university though the Commonwealth Shared Scholarships Scheme, but you may only accept one offer of a Shared Scholarship. These scholarships do not cover undergraduate courses, PhD study, or any pre-sessional English language teaching, and are usually tenable for one year only.
View the full list of eligible courses.
You must also secure admission to your course in addition to applying for a Shared Scholarship. You must check with your chosen university for their specific advice on when to apply, admission requirements, and rules for applying.
You must make your application using the CSC’s online application system, in addition to any other application that you are required to complete by your chosen university. The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the online application system.
Closing Date for Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Applications
All applications must be submitted by 16.00 (GMT) on 9 April 2021 at the latest.
For more update on this scholarship and other awesome available scholarships, kindly subscribe to this website using your active email address. Subscription is totally free.
Join us on our social media platforms