It became important for us to update all our readers about issues relating to the NYSC Exemption Letter (please note – this covers NYSC Batch A, Batch B and Batch C applicants/pcm) and how to successfully apply for and collect it without stress due to the many questions we have been receiving in regards to it. Hope this guide will help you understand how the process works.
NYSC certificate is very important if you want to work in Nigeria and also some countries also require you to produce your certificates before offering you jobs or scholarships.
Hence, it is very important that you collect yours. Exemption certificates are mainly given to those who are above the age limit.
Who Can Collect NYSC Exemption Letter?
- Graduates that are above 30 years of age
- Part-time graduates
- Some special departments (SLT etc)
- Persons who have served in the Armed Forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months; or member of staff of any of the following:
- The Nigerian Security Organization or
- The State Security Service, or
- The National Intelligence Agency or
- The Defence Intelligence Service
- Persons who have been conferred with any National Honour.
Requirements for collecting certificate of exemption
Nigerian Graduates either home or oversea trained who have the stipulated qualification of (B.SC, B.A or HND) from approved or accredited Institution by (NUC, NTBE or NCCE) are eligible for Exemption Certificate, however while foreign trained graduates must submit their Certificates at the Mobilization Department for Evaluation.
PROCESS OF COLLECTION OF CERTIFICATE OF EXEMPTION
For clarity, we will be sharing the process into two (2)
Home trained and Foreign trained graduates
HOME TRAINED GRADUATES
The process begins from the applicants Institutions.
- The tertiary institutions attended. The School submits the master list of their graduates alongside with the Senate approved result to NYSC.
- A print-out is processed by NYSC classifying those to be called up for service and those to be exempted. This print-out is sent back to the Institutions for verifications and corrections after which they are returned to NYSC as an agreed/corrected document.
- With the print-out, the Certificates of Exemption are produced, documented and sent back to the Institutions for issuance to the appropriate persons.
Please note: Collection of Certificate of Exemption for home trained graduates is only done in the Institution of graduation and not in NYSC office.
FOREIGN TRAINED GRADUATES
The process begins with the evaluation of credentials and other related documents i.e. International passport.
- After the evaluation of credentials the foreign trained graduate is then registered and this is physically done at the NYSC directorate headquarters, Abuja. It is at the point of registration that the classification of who to be called-up or who to be exempted; is determined.
- Certificates of Exemption are therefore produced for those exempted from service.
Please Note – Certificates of Exemption for foreign graduates are to be collected at the NYSC directorate headquarters at the stipulated time communicated.
For foreign trained graduates who wish to serve – click here
Also note: Collection of Certificate of Exemption is grouped under the three batches (batches A, B and C) of the service year, depending on the date of registration. This equally would be communicated to exempted graduates at the point of registration.
You may also like – Best states to seek employment in Nigeria 2018
Collection of Certificate of Exemption is strictly with identification such as International passport and the bearer MUST BE PHYSICALLY PRESENT.
No one can collect the certificate for you.
For more information, join us on our various social media platforms